Sacramento ADU Permit Spike reveals a significant trend. Backyard cottages, or accessory dwelling units, are becoming a solution to the county’s housing cost surge. In recent times, the Sacramento ADU Permit Spike has caught the attention of urban developers and residents alike. The dramatic increase in these permits shows how residents are adapting to the housing situation. In a bid to address the surging housing prices, Sacramento County is witnessing a spike in the construction of backyard cottages. Familiarly termed Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs), these have become an increasingly popular option to provide affordable housing.
- What’s the Data Saying? As reported by Maricela De La Cruz for KCRA, there has been an almost threefold increase in ADU permits in Sacramento County from 2021 to 2022. In 2022 alone, a whopping 237 ADUs were completed, based on data from the California Department of Housing and Community Development.
- Why The Surge? While county spokespeople have expressed uncertainty regarding the exact cause for this sharp uptick, there’s speculation that skyrocketing rents and the growing demand for reasonably priced housing might be significant contributors.
Discover New Possibilities for Your Property with an ADU!
- Bills Proposing ADU Boosts: On a broader spectrum, two significant bills might further propel ADU construction throughout California. Assembly Bill 1033 offers cities the discretion to allow property owners to sell ADUs as separate units. In contrast, Assembly Bill 976 aims to put a permanent stop to local rules that mandate property owners to reside in their ADUs, permitting them to lease these properties.
- What are ADUs?
- Accessory Dwelling Units, commonly known as ADUs or backyard cottages, are independent residential units located on the same property as the primary house. They are seen as one solution to combat the increasing cost of housing.
- Why are ADUs becoming popular?
- Due to their potential for providing affordable housing options, acting as rental income sources, and accommodating extended family members.
- What are the benefits of ADUs?
- They offer extra income through rent, increase property value, and can accommodate family members, among other benefits.
Interested in how this ADU trend could benefit you? Use The ADU Guide free property report to explore the potential of your property.